skip navigation

Member Update: COVID-19

By Justin Halbersma, 04/02/20, 12:47PM CDT



Dear LAYSA Families and Participants-

Our lives have been dramatically impacted by the COVID-19 virus from shelter-in-home orders to distance learning and for many the stress of possibly losing a job or business and for some the real fear or reality of losing a loved one or friend to the virus. In the midst of the unknown, the LAYSA Board of Directors met tonight (Wednesday, April 1) online to consider what this all means for soccer and our community. Taking into consideration the realities we know and the still unknown realities, the Board has made the following decisions:

(1) The Ice Breaker Tournament is cancelled and anyone who had previously registered will be refunded their registration fee.

(2) Summer Travel Soccer

It has been mandated that no soccer activities occur until May 1 for certain and dates beyond that are unknown. We do know of other sports where activities have already been cancelled through the end of May. We hold out hope that we will still be able to have a partial soccer season, but we also understand that many people may be facing financial hardship and/or have concerns about their children participating when COVID-19 is still spreading and a vaccine is not yet developed and able to be deployed. With that in mind we decided to do the following:

(a) Refunds - Anyone who desires to cancel their child(rens) registration will receive a full refund and can do so by contacting our registrar, Ellen Thomes.

(b) We will not be participating in the Eagan Tournament (May 8-10) and All-American Cup (June 5-7) as we expect we will not be practicing until June 1 at the earliest.

(c) We will meet as a board again on May 1 and using the information we know at that time determine if we will have a partial season with one or two tournaments or if the season will be cancelled.

At the time of that determination we will be giving pro-rated refunds (i.e. 2 tournaments would be 1/2 registration fee refunded, 1 tournament would be 3/4 registration fee refunded) or full refunds based on that determination. We will also consider the possibility of some of those tournaments being in July if needed. We want you to know that once that information is known and we communicate it out to the club, you will still have an opportunity to cancel your registration if the tournament dates conflict with family plans, etc. Our hope is to have soccer but not to burden families.

(3) Summer Rec Soccer

At this time we still plan on having summer rec soccer and will continue to have registration open. However, if you would like to cancel your registration you can and will be fully refunded. Just contact our registrar, Ellen Thomes, and she will start the process of that refund.

This is uncharted territory for us all and really we are more than a soccer club, we are a family. We want you to know that we do not want any financial hardship to stand in the way of child participating in soccer. Know going forward and now that we will work with any family to have their child participate in soccer through financial scholarship and support. If we are able to be out on the pitch this summer we hope to see your child out there enjoying the sport they love and we want you all to know that we will work with anyone to ensure their child is able to participate in the joy of soccer if we are able to provide the opportunity.

We hope everyone remains healthy


Brainerd Blast Board of Directors